Saturday, March 7, 2009

Chameleon


Chameleon, originally uploaded by Llyn Hunter, Bobcat Publishing.

This is a piece I did for a quick watercolor demonstration a few years back. It took about 3 hours from start to finish and I used three different photos for reference. Note the cool effect at the top is done with Schminke Aero Colors and salt. You apply the salt while the paper is still damp with the paint but not quite dry. Use a blow dryer to speed up the drying, and then brush the salt off (I use a dull edged knife).

9" x 12" Arches hot press, Winsor & Newton water colors, Schminke Aero Colors, Berol 2B pencil, Staedtler pigment liners, salt, (razor/exacto knife blades and laytex erasers to demonstrate how to fix mistakes).

7 comments:

Frank Robert Dixon said...

Hi Lynn,

Great salt technique. I like your entire website--very fun and creative!

Ben Perkins said...

Llyn.
I hope you know this looks amazing.

Wendy said...

I love this chameleon. So cool!! :)

Paulius said...

Hey, you left a comment on one of my blog posts from last march about crow-quill pens.

I just wanted to say thank you for the tip about 'sanding' the ink off the page when you make a mistake. Up until now I've just been using plain old white-out which looks just terrible.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hey Llyn! I'm glad to find you here. I always like being able to read about the story behind art. This is a great piece too, really cool technique.

Sandra Barron said...

That is just gorgeous!
Thanks so much for checking out my blog... hope to see you there again!

Dave Chlystek said...

This such a beautiful piece llyn. Really nice stuff.